Fill in the blanks
1. The increase in solubility of iodine in an aqueous solution of potassium iodide is due to the formation of ___________ . (1982)
2. Galvanization of iron denotes coating with ___________ .(1983)
3. If metal ions of group III are precipitated by NH4Cl and NH4OH without prior oxidation by conc. HNO3 ___________ in not completely precipitated. (1984)
4. Sodium dissolved in liquid ammonia conducts electricity because _________. (1985)
5. Hydrogen gas is liberated by the action of aluminum with concentrated solution of ___________. (1987)
6. Silver chloride is sparingly soluble in water because its lattice energy is greater than __________ energy. (1987)
7. _______ phosphorus is reactive because of its highly strained tetrahedral structure.
8. In extractive metallurgy of zinc, partial fusion of ZnO with coke is called _______ and reduction of the ore to the molten metal is called ____________ .
(smelting, calcining, roasting, sintering) (1988)
9. The salts _________ and _______________ are isostructural.
(FeSO4.7H2O; CuSO4.5H2O; MnSO4.4H2O; ZnSO4.7H2O)
10. ______________ acid gives hypo ____________ ion.
(hydrobromic, hypobromous, perbromic, bromide, bromite, perbromate) (1988)
11. Sulphur acts as ___________ agent in vulcanization of rubber. (1989)
12. The basicity of phosphorus acid (H3PO3) is ____________ . (1990)
13. In P4O10, the number of oxygen atoms bonded to each phosphorus atom is _________ . (1992)
14. The lead chamber process involves oxidation of SO2 by atmospheric oxygen under the influence of __________ as catalyst. (1992)
15. Ca2+ has a smaller ionic radius than K+ because it has __________- . (1993)
16. The formula of the deep red liquid formed on warming dichromate with KCl in concentrated sulphuric acid is ______________ . (1993)
17. The two types of bonds present in B2H6 are covalent and __________ . (194).
18. The type of magnetism exhibited by [Mn(H2O)6] 2+ is ________________ . (1994)
19. One recently discovered allotrope of carbon (e.g., C60) is commonly known as _________ . (1994)
20. Among PCl3, CH3+, NH2-, and NF3, ___________ is least reactive towards water. (1997)
21. A solution of sodium in liquid ammonia at -33˚C conducts electricity. On cooling, the conductivity of this solution ______________ .
22. When an aqueous solution of sodium fluoride is electrolysed, the gas liberated at the anode is ___________ .
23. Silver jewellery items tarnish slowly in the air due to their reaction with ___________. (1997).
24. Compounds that formally contain Pb4+ are easily reduced to Pb2+. The stability of the lower oxidation state is due to _____ . (1997)
Answers some time later